LIONSHEART STUDIOS PTY LTD
Your privacy is important to us.
In this policy we explain our information practices, we describe the way your information is collected and used by us and we provide other information to show how we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act).
A copy of the Act is available at: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2014C00076.
In this policy:
Education Organisation means an organisation which provides educational courses to Students and includes a
- provider of secondary education;
- provider of tertiary education; and
- A research institute.
Educator means a person who
- is a member of the staff (i..e., an employee or contractor) or affiliated member of staff of an Education Organisation; and
- is teaching a course for which they have required their Students to access the Product.
Game means the interactive Playconomics video game.
Product means the interactive Playconomics product comprised of the Game, the Site, and the Service (individually or together, as the context may require).
Service means the online Playconomics tutorial facilities that are part of the Site.
Site means the Playconomics website located at www.playconomics.com.
Student means a person who
- is enrolled in an Education Organisation; and
- participates in a course for which an Education Organisation and/or an Educator has adopted the Product.
Term means the period of time during which you are able to access and use the Product.
When we refer to personal information, we mean information about an individual by which that individual’s identity can be reasonably ascertained.
We operate the Site.
This is the Site through which you are able to access the Product and participate in the Site and the Game, either as a Student or as an Educator.
If you proceed to open an account, you consent to the collection and use of the information you provide in the manner we describe in this policy.
If you provide us with your personal information, you consent to our collection, use, disclosure, storage and other handling of that information in accordance with this policy.
Parents or guardians of Students who are under the age of 18 are personally responsible for monitoring their child’s access to, and use of, our Product and for providing valid approvals for their child’s participation in our Product (including subscriptions), academic research projects, competitions and other promotional activities conducted by us.
If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain the consent of your parent or guardian before you provide any of your personal details to us. This is an essential condition for accessing and using the Product.
When do we collect information?
We will collect information from you when:
- you set up an account on the Site (which you will do either as an Educator or as a Student);
- you purchase the Product (which you will do as a Student);
- you access and use the Product (which you will do either as an Educator or as a Student);
- you contact us with a question or feedback about the Product; and
- we request, and your Education Organisation or Educator agrees, to provide us with your course and any course-related data (including demographics and academic performance) at the conclusion of the Term in which you used the Product.
When you visit the Site, or log-in to third party sites from the Site, we will receive information that those pages have loaded in your web browser.
You can control cookies through your browser settings and other tools. Please be aware that, if you reject the cookie, you will not be able to use our web-based services.
What information do we collect?
We will ask you to provide us with information about yourself when you set up an account on the Site and when you purchase the Product through the Site.
Some of this information will be personal information for the purposes of the Act.
If you are an Educator, the minimum personal information that we collect when you set up an account on the Site is your name, the name of your Education Organisation and your contact details at that Education Organisation.
If you are a Student, the minimum personal information that we collect when you set up an account on the Site is your name, student identification number, name of your Education Organisation and your contact details at that Education Organisation.
If you purchase the Product and/or engage with the Service we also collect certain financial information (such as your credit/debit card information).
While you are using the Product, we will collect Product usage data and also technical data on your computer specifications to optimise Product delivery.
Please note that we only ask for a student identification number when an Educator has instructed us to do so and we are satisfied that this is required to enable your Educator to determine a Student’s progression in relation to the Product..
At the conclusion of the course in which you participate and for which you use the Product we may, with the permission of your Educator, collect data on your course experience and progression, including demographics and academic performance (i.e., marks or grades) for each of the assessment tasks (including exams).
In this case, we may link your course and course-related data with your Product data and perform statistical analysis for academic research purposes (including publication) and so that we can continue to improve the Product. Your name or personal information will not be published.
You can provide to us additional information (age, gender, international status, enrolment year) when you set up an account on the Site. This information can be removed or amended at any time.
How we protect information?
We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised disclosure or destruction. We will retain the information for a reasonable amount of time after your account expires.
In order to enable us to meet our obligations under the Act and to ensure the operation of the Product, we may need to allow our authorised staff and contractors access to your personal information. The staff and contractors are required by contract and policies to maintain full confidentiality of your information.
For what purposes do we use information?
We use the information that we collect about you to
- complete your purchase of the Product;
- provide you with access to the Product;
- allow you to engage with the Service;
- provide support related to any Product aspects;
- improve the user experience;
- facilitate quick retrieval of relevant information;
- improve and adapt the content we deliver to you;
- provide course announcements;
- alert you to updated information on the Product; and
- investigate problems, resolve disputes or enforce our Terms and Conditions of Use.
Please note that you might not be able to unsubscribe from course announcements, which contain important information about the course, as set by your Educator.
We also use de-identified and aggregated information, collected from you, from other users of the Product and from your Educator, for academic research purposes (including publication) and so that we can continue to improve the Product.
This is information which does not personally or specifically identify you or any other person but is derived from your use of the Product. For example, we may tell a researcher that a particular number of individuals completed the Game, but we would not disclose any information that could be used to identify those individuals.
For what purposes do we NOT use information?
We will not
- sell your personal information, such as name, contact details (email or street address) to third parties; or
- use your contact details (email or street address) to send you marketing materials.
When do we give information to third parties?
If you are a Student, we will provide personal information to your Education Organisation and/or Educator, upon request, to enable them to administer your usage of the Product. For example, the Educator may require the information for the purpose of assessing Game progression or notifying Students about issues arising during the course.
If a Student has any further questions about their Educator’s use of personal information, the Educator should be contacted directly.
We will also make the information we collect from you available to third parties
- to the extent necessary to complete your purchase of the Product;
- where it is necessary to enable us to make the Product available to you;
- where it is necessary for your usage of the Product;
- for the purposes of product development, research or statistical analysis;
- when we reasonably believe it is required by law;
- as reasonably necessary in order to protect the personal safety of users of the Product or the public; and
- as necessary to assert our rights.
The hosting of the Product and of the information collected through the Product is outsourced to Amazon Web Services Inc (Amazon) – a U.S. operator of the data centre located in Australia. Amazon was selected by us on the basis that it deploys high-grade security safeguards and full UPS power back-up generator systems. For more information please visit: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/security/.
Amazon is not an Australian entity and is not regulated by the Act. The Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Act do not apply. By accepting our Terms and Conditions of Use as stated on the Site, you also consent to the disclosure of your personal information to Amazon as a recipient outside Australia, in the knowledge that if Amazon engages in any act or practice that contravenes the APPs it would not be accountable under the Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Act.
Updating your information
You may access and update or correct the information we hold in respect of your account whenever you choose to do so.
Your right to withdraw consent
You can withdraw your consent for our use of your personal information at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you withdraw your consent for our use of your personal information to make the Product available to you, we might be unable to continue maintaining them operational for your use.
How to Contact Us
You may want to contact us about the personal information we hold about you (including to correct any information) or to ask a question about our Policy or to make a complaint related to a breach by us of the Act.
You may do so by:
- email to email@example.com
- writing to us at Playconomics @ School of Economics, UNSW Business School, UNSW Sydney Kensington 2052 NSW Australia
- calling us by telephone on +61 2 9385 7480
If you have a complaint about our compliance with the Act and we have not resolved your complaint within 30 days after you first notified us of your complaint, you can refer your complaint to the Australian Information Commission by visiting their site http://www.oaic.gov.au/.
Effective December 2014